THE COOPER-UNION PROJECT
Bringing THE power OF MODERATE-REPUBLICANS TOGETHER
This organization is building a social-networking platform specifically for Moderate Republicans. This dedicated political social-networking space will be the first of its kind. It will allow us to better organize, educate, and bring identity to right-of-center voters. But we need your help!!! Please make a contribution to the completion of this project.
History of Cooper-union:
This project was named after President Lincoln's speech at Cooper-Union in New York City in 1860. Though not often quoted, many historians consider it one of Lincoln's greatest speeches. In the speech, Lincoln defined conservatism as being true to the principles enshrined in the Constitution, criticizing pro-slavery advocates as falsely claiming conservatism when "not one of your various plans can show a precedent or an advocate in the century within which our government originated." Today's ultra-conservative views have distorted Lincoln's definition of conservatism. It's time we return to true conservatism, grounded only in constitutional principles.
Goals & Features:
1. Create a personal political profile. This feature allows members to think through and document their positions on each political issue. Users will be able to sign in using Facebook, applying the same style of permission and privacy settings. Political profiles will allow members to compare their beliefs with other users and political candidates. It will also enable statistical polling on a variety of issues.
2. Education center. The platform will provide a variety of tools to help members develop informed opinions; it will provide the type of information that commercial media alone can not deliver. These tools will grow to include:
- Self-guided online courses taught by experts within their field.
- Inner-organizational certificates recognizing knowledge in certain areas (budget, Social Security, constitutional law, etc.).
- A library of recommended books, articles, documentaries, podcasts, and videos categorized by policy issue.
- Features allowing users to share, save, and organize materials.
- Calendar of online events hosted by leading non-profits and think tanks.
- Ability to curate content from leading non-profits and think tanks through RSS feed.
- Host debates; offer instruction on debating skills.
3. Identify and evaluate candidates. Our platform will help members identify political candidates who share similar viewpoints, and meet their expectations of competency.
4. Ensure that members are registered and voting. The system will allow members to check their current voting status, be altered to registration procedures, and reminded of mid-term, primary, and general election dates. Only through the vote will our viewpoints be heard.
5. Enhancing constituent voice and promoting participation. The platform can help users better understand the type of actions they can take to effectuate change. Collectively we can better identify the issues facing our country and participate in meaningful solutions.
6. Promote organization of demonstrations and petitions. Networking with other Moderate Republicans and other Republican groups will help enhance the voice of our members.
7. Donation by cause. Members will be able to donate to particular reform funds (ex. campaign finance reform, budget process reform, educational initiatives, etc.). This will be done primarily through partnership with existing funds, but others can be developed where needed. These funds strategically allocate resources to candidates who endorse particular positions, under the direction of a board of trustees.
8. Helping members understand how to run for office.
9. Additional features. Daily quotes (ex. "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." [Thomas Jefferson]; "Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large group." [Phil Steffen]).
Click here to bring The Cooper Union Project to life.